I've moved my blog and previous posts to WordPress!

You will be automatically redirected to the new location at

www.apottersview.com

Please update your bookmarks and subscriptions.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Christmas in July

Saturday, Saturday - It's about the only day that ministers get to have Sabbath. Sunday is usually chock full of sermons, Sunday school, afternoon and evening meetings, the usual. The rest of the week is packed, too. I used to try to take Fridays off, but Friday became the day to get things done so Saturday was truly a Sabbath. Sometimes it actually worked.
I have high hopes this morning. We went to the Original Pancake House and indulged. We love it and haven't been since Cindy got out of school for the summer. We both half-heartedly joked that the district parsonage has been like a motel where we just plop down for the night. Our lives have been in Rock Hill with Narcie, Mike, and the Kiddo's, plus Josh & Karen; and thank God Caleb and I had our oasis together in Omaha.

Everybody needs an oasis: Like the picture I took of the robin in the snow-tipped pine tree. Christmas in July is having Sabbath in the midst of a hot grueling summer. Part of me longs to be on top of Mt. Mitchell in the solitude and crisp cool air with the clouds swirling in from every direction. It's always 30 degrees cooler there than here in Columbia's sauna. Call it "Recovery Time," or whatever. We need it or we run out of gas and aren't worth anything to anybody.

So today I'm shooting for a perch in a snow-tipped pine: read a little, sleep a little, catch up on DVR'ed TV shows that I missed during the week, play with the kids and not worry about a thing. I made a pit stop at a local bookstore the other day and stocked up on some novels. Oh, to find the time; or, better yet, MAKE the time to read them. Well, that's my hope for today, to play with the kids, to read a good book, to be a robin in a tree with dreams of cooler weather.

To all my clergy buds, grab a Sabbath today or whenever you can. Like the little robin, chill out and feel the breeze. Come on, Nicodemus, you can't see it, but you know it when you feel it. Today is the day. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment